Menke Fellowship Application
The deadline to submit your application is March 16, 2017.
The Sally Menke Memorial Editing Fellowship supports an emerging narrative editor who has edited at least one narrative feature film (no more than four), and any number of shorts, documentary films, industrial films, or webisodes. Additionally, the ideal candidate is committed to continuing a career in editing, passionate about the creative process and is open to exploration and experimentation in the editing room.
We hope to find an editor based in either L.A. or N.Y., but the Fellowship is open to all editors who are based in the U.S. If awarded the Sally Menke Editing Fellowship, the editor will be required to join the June Directors Lab in Sundance, Utah from May 30 – June 23, 2017, and will receive a stipend of $1000 for their work at the June Lab. As an Editor at the June Directors Lab, the Fellow must have working knowledge of Editing Equipment including AVID, Final Cut Pro, sound mixers, Digital Cameras, etc.
I. Submit the following information at: https://sundanceinstitute.typeform.com/to/LAgKrj
1. Applicant contact information
2. Applicant demographic information
3. A link to one feature film you feel best demonstrates your editing ability
II. Upload a letter of recommendation from an editor or director with whom you have previously collaborated in pdf format. Please address the letter to the Sally Menke Memorial Editing Fellowship Selection Committee.
III. Upload a response to the following questions in .pdf format:
1. What interests you about the Sally Menke Memorial Editing Fellowship?
2. What would be most helpful to you in a mentoring relationship, and why might it be specifically helpful to you at this time?
3. Choose a film you admire for its exceptional editing and explain why.
4. Tell us about a specific experience you’ve had working as an editor that taught you something key about the process.
Final decisions on awarding the fellowship will be made by April 28, 2016. All applicants will be notified by this time. Please contact Carlos Garza at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.